Friday, November 4, 2011

to Jeannie Kirkpatrick

A couple weeks ago, my husband and I were speaking at a church in Freedom, OK (it is as small as it sounds).  He usually does a little spiel about my "talent" and "creativity" that I usually find incredibly embarrassing and I had asked him to stop doing it... anyway, he did it this time.  Afterward, a man came up to me and started telling me a story about his wife, her name was Jeannie Kirkpatrick, who loved to quilt.  She had passed away a year ago after a loooong battle with cancer, which wasn't supposed to be so long, but I guess she was a tough bird.  He said she had so many supplies, fabric, and equipment left over and he wanted to do more than just get rid of it.  He wanted to be able to give it to someone young, who was just starting out in sewing - because of course there were several older women who sew that he could've given it to, but that wasn't what God had placed on his heart.  Anyway, he and his youngest daughter were adamant that I should have it.  The next day or so later we went over to their house to see the stuff.  Not only did they present us with a TON of fabric, thread, notions, and a nice sewing machine but they invited us to stay for lunch and spend some time them.  They were incredibly kind and welcoming family.  We weren't able to take everything (which I felt really bad about), including the sewing machine, but I did feel like we were taking a part of their family with us.  Among the gifts was a large container of every different color of thread imaginable.

I don't know if you know, but I have a wonderful husband who desires to help me in life in general, and also my creative business.  He helped me to detangle them, and he built me this fantastic peg board attached to my crumby crumbly desk, so I can see them and keep them organized.  He is fantastic.

I feel very blessed by this family, by this woman, for entrusting me with part of her heart... something she was passionate about.  I only hope that I can use this gift for a worthy purpose and pass the love along.

No comments:

Post a Comment